{Lamb, Chickpea + Lentil Soup}




This has to be the best soup I've made all winter, inspired by something I saw in a free food mag given away at our local supermarket I made a few tweaks and its a winner.  Billy and Jay both had two bowls in a row and that makes me a happy cook.

I personally am a sucker for anything you get to dollop greek yoghurt onto, which incidentally I am now making myself along with a vanilla version which the boys eat litres and litres of which was really the reason I started to make my own.  

Now don't get too excited and think I am showing off, I bought an eziyo, and can I say what a fantastic kiwi invention.  The milk powder in the sachets is produced by happy freeranging south island cows, with no added nasties and I can completely vouch for both the full fat vanilla and the full fat greek versions.  I have heard the flavoured sachets are not so flash so have avoided them instead opting to flavour it myself, favourites so far have included cherry jam, homemade lemon curd, maple syrup + bananas, honey, it is all good.  I now pack the wee peas off to school each day with a little tub and its much cheaper than those sachets they sell at the shops and it produces less landfill.  Hmmmmm making yoghurt and reducing landfill, I feel a tie dyed outfit coming on.

Make this soup before winter is out, you will be happy you did.

...the soup
2 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
400g lamb mince
400g 
tin of brown lentils, rinsed, drained
400g 
tin of chickpeas, rinsed, drained
400g tin of diced tomatoes

1 litre of beef stock
1/2 cup sultanas
1 cup frozen broad beans, thawed, peeled
juice of a lemon
greek yoghurt
handful of coriander leaves

sea salt + freshly ground pepper

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring for around 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Add the garlic, turmeric, paprika, cumin, cinnamon and ginger and cook for a minute or until fragrant. Add the mince and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 5 minutes or until the mince changes colour.


Next pour in the beef stock and tomatoes and add the sultanas, increase the heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.  Now add the lentils, chickpeas and broad beans and cook for a further 5 minutes or until they are warmed through. Lastly add juice of a lemon and season generously with the sea salt and ground pepper.


Serve with a dollop of greek yoghurt and and sprinkle of fresh coriander leaves.

Comments