{Freekeh Salad with Cajun Chicken}




I went to the shops to get barley and broad beans and came home with freekeh and cucumber and this is what I made.  Watch this space for my barley broadbean idea because on a recent drive in the country and following a spot of pub lunch we stopped in at an apple orchard and I got me a lovely little pack of organic barley, once I get my hands on those pesky broad beans, well you know, there will be another salad recipe here! You can hardly wait I'm sure.

...the salad
1 cup of cracked freekeh 
2 x freerange chicken boobs
cajun spice blend (I just bought a jar from the market)
1/2 bunch mint, leaves picked
1 x cucumber, peeled, cored and diced
2 x sticks of celery diced
1/4 red onion thinly sliced
handful of toasted pine nuts
block of danish fetta, cubed

juice of a lemon
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
s+p

Rinse the cracked freekeh and then pop it in a saucepan along with 2 1/2 cups of water, 1 tsp of salt and 2 tsp's of olive oil, bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered for 15 minutes, then tip into a sieve, rinse with cold water and set aside to cool and drain.  Once cool pop the freekeh into your serving dish add in the mint, cucumber, pine nuts, celery, onion, and fetta, season with s+p and drizzle over 1 tbsp of olive oil, the lemon juice and give it a gentle mix.

Sprinkle the chicken generously with the cajun spices, put them between baking paper, and then bash to around 1 cm thick using a rolling pin.  Panfry them in a tbsp of olive oil over a medium to high heat, they should take around 3 - 5 minutes a side, remove from pan and pop onto some kitchen towel on a plate, sprinkle with sea salt and let them rest for five minutes before slicing into strips and serving on top of the freekeh salad.

Comments