{Monte Carlos}



Do you remember monte carlos ? Have you bought them recently ? I haven't but I remember that those suckers are stuck together with a glue like jam that makes it impossible to separate them without some level of destruction and a lot of crumbs. 

These are naturally better than a bought one, these were a big hit with me, I think I ate pretty much all of them, Jay may of had one. Kids were not quite on board, Billy has recently acquired an uncanny ability to detect pips in jams, icecreams and yoghurts and takes issue with them. Jack basically will only eat my brown butter biscuits at the moment so what's a girl to do. I couldn't just leave them sitting the tin all sad and unloved now could I, I took care of them. Lets call it maternal instinct.

...the cookies
180g butter, softened
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup self raising flour
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/2 cup ground almonds

...the filling
60g butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 vanilla extract
Raspberry jam

Oven to 180 and line two biscuit trays with baking paper. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the egg, honey and vanilla and beat again for another minute or so then add in the dry ingredients and fold through the creamed butter mixture.

Roll into small balls, about a teaspoon each and pop on the trays leaving a bit of a gap. Press down on each cookie with a fork(dipped in flour works best)and then bake for 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits are pale golden.

Remove and cool completely on a wire rack.

For the filling, cream together the butter, icing sugar and vanilla, spread one side with the butter filling and its matching pair with a little jam (I used raspberry but you could use your fav).

Comments

  1. OMG, I LOVE these, they are my favourite-ever bought biscuits. What's more, I have all these ingredients in my cupboard (except for the raspberry jam... maybe marmalade will be a good substitute?) Hope all is well xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a co-incidence!!!! - I tend to have exactly the same kind of maternal instincts as you!!!! and not just for biscuits ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these Monte Carlo's today and they turned out FANTASTIC, I am sorry to blow my own trumpet but its true, they look like they came from a cake shop.
    I only just 'discovered' your blog and I love it, I will be trying more recipes - thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment